Apr 14, 2010

First Post & Nearing the End

Hello faithful bloggers and readers! Well, this is my first blog, and I have to say, the American contingent has put us Canadians to shame! Great job on the blogs you guys! I've been down with a cold recently, and add some internet connection issues, and well, those are my best excuses! In any case, from start to finish, this has been one heck of a journey for me! I've met so many interesting people, and have also made some friends in the process. Sure, it's been pretty busy for us morning, noon and night, but somehow it still feels like we only just got here!

Being the token "Mountie" of the group, I've been privileged to have met with most all types of police officer here, from volunteer special constables in rural detachments such as Horsham, on up to semi-armed response officers in the bustling metropolis of Brighton, and I have to say, I've been impressed by what I've learnt thus far. The multi-levels of officers is a bit confusing, and I'm sorry to say I still don't have it straight, however the common theme that all the officers seem to share is that they all seem to be very "plugged-in" to their communities. Whether in a bustling city like Brighton, or a small rural area like Arundel, these officers seem to know their neighbors, along with the bad guys, and they are out there talking to people on a regular basis. Talking is such a basic concept, but these officers gather a lot of local intel, and seem to enjoy a high level of local cooperation from the general public. What is also interesting is that, although the majority of these officers are lightly armed, they manage to get the job done, and even have the time to liase with the maze of government organizations and officials like magistrates and parole officers, including the offenders themselves, a strategy which, in West Sussex in particular, has resulted in an 18% reduction in the number of offenders who re-offend! This strategy must be working!

There is more that I will post later, however I would just like to add that all of the officers I have spoken with over here have been very forthcoming, and shared most every aspect of their daily routines with me. I've even gotten in to see one of their dispatch and CCTV control centres!

Speaking of CCTV, I'm learning that it is a very valuable strategic tool for officers here. While apparently not very well liked by the general public, it is nonetheless tolerated, while officers use the intel and tracking abilities of these high definition, hard disc driven and highly zoom-capable (if that's a word) cameras to identify suspects in crimes that would otherwise have not been witnessed, assist people in distress, and track criminals fleeing from crime scenes (amongst several other uses). Whether or not these cameras act as a true crime deterrent is really hard to guage, especially when the majority of Britons seem to forget that they are there, but the value to police as a tool is certainly insurmountable! The cost is somewhat prohibitive though, as, at approximately 60,000£ per camera (roughly $115,000 CDN) they aren't cheap, but I still think that they can be used in trouble areas in Vernon and surrounding districts to help fight crime and make these areas safer.

I've talked a lot about my vocational visits, and that's mostly because everyone else has talked quite a bit about the activities that we've done. Let me just say on that note that every host I've had has been most kind and generous, and an absolute pleasure to stay with and get to know. Not to mention my team - it's really going to be weird to be without them after this trip, because I've gotten so used to them being there. From our fearless leader Jim (aka "Wandering Jimbo") with his kind words and gentle manner, to Kevira (aka "Merv") with her inquisitive mind and boundless energy, to Scott with his unfading smile (which is why I call him "Guy Smiley") and great sense of humour (I will get you back for that candid photo of me Scott, oh yes, I will!) to my fellow Canadian and friend Cam (aka "Action Man" and "The Dirt Bike Kid" - just made that one up) for being such a dependable sidekick and partner in crime, all you guys, you helped to make this trip the fun adventure that it was and is continuing to be.

The lights are going off now, so I'd best sign off for now. More later about my vocational visits and new friendships!

No comments:

Post a Comment