Apr 19, 2010

Still in a holding pattern

We're still in England, but it seems like there's light at the end of the tunnel — or a hole in a BIG ash cloud. The government has opened airspace over Scotland, Northern Ireland and Northern England as of 7 a.m. tomorrow (Tuesday). Rumors are the airspace above London and other parts of Europe will open soon after. So yay! But I won't get too excited until I hear for sure. In the meantime, we're heading to London in the morning and will check into a hotel. We've reserved it for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights. Hopefully we'll get outta London before too long. On the plus side, I got to visit Jane Austen's grave in Winchester Cathedral today, and I visited the last home she lived at, which is also where she died. A big thank you to Agnes (my host) for taking me there, and for some great shoe shopping on the way there and back. :-)

If I can, I'll update in the next couple of day. In the meantime, pray we get home soon and Carol (Jim's wife) can come here to see him soon. Also pray the District 1250 team gets outta here when they're expecting to. Again, thanks all for being so wonderful to us when we were here. We had a blast and will miss our English friends very much.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! As a member of another GSE flying over the Atlantic very soon, how did Rotary handle this? DO you have to cover the expenses related to the delay out of your own pockets, or does Rotary take care of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my travel insurance covered the expenses, but I'm the only one who had it for trip delay. Apparently Rotary International only paid so much (150 pounds?) for the first day and then District 5060 paid some.

    ReplyDelete